Monday, March 19, 2012

Paragraph w/o Patchwriting


Most of the time, we see “myth” as a false tale or some type of ritual other cultures perform, which we think doesn’t actually work. This definition can undermine the beliefs of others, but in consequence, it supposedly reaffirms our own. It is also what makes myths so intriguing because there is an element of mystery and possible truth. 

-The hardest thing was picking a topic, but now that I have chosen, it is difficult to figure out how to order the paper. Meaning, what is the most important topic after the opening paragraph and where should the counterargument go; should it be apart of each paragraph or it's own separate one?

5 comments:

  1. I would probably include your counter arguments in other paragraphs and spread them throughout the paper. Unless you only have one counter argument then I would make it a separate paragraph. Not sure if that's the best way but that's what I would do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My suggestion is to scatter counter-arguments around in your paper (so do 3 paragraphs of supporting arguments, next paragraph opposes, then next one is good, next bad, etc.). But I like to give a paragraph to my counter arguments so that I address them fairly, and then can disprove or argue it. But don't group all your counter-arguments together, or it looks like there's a TON of stuff wrong with your proposal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both Will and Ben. Counterarguments can be placed at the beginning of paragraphs and you can address the issues evidence of your own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been having that same problem. I would say it just depends on what your counterargument is. If it is one huge thing that goes with all your points then just do one paragraph for it, but if each one of your points has a different counterargument fit them in that paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One thing that helped me was when I went to the writing center. The girl who was helping me said that when she writes a paper she likes to state the counter arguments at the beginning and then go on to totally disprove them. That way, you're still stating the counter arguments but you're also making your paper stronger and showing why your opinion is right.

    ReplyDelete